This Privacy Notice was last updated, March 22, 2017. Please check back for changes as we update this Privacy Notice from time to time. Your use of the Website means that you agree to our Privacy Notice.
What to expect from this page. This brief view of our Privacy Notice outlines the most important details you need to know. You can read the full GroupM Privacy Notice for more detail on our privacy practices.
Information we collect and information we do not collect:
- GroupM collects personally identifiable information from adults who provide consent or voluntarily share that information with us. This information may include name, email address, and telephone number.
- GroupM receives information when you visit our Website. GroupM uses common internet technologies, such as Cookies, on our Website so we can improve content and site services. A cookie will assign a unique Identifier to a user’s device. You can always choose not to share your information by opting-out of cookies here.
- For more details about our information collection practices, please click here.
How we do and do not use the collected information:
- We use contact information to fulfill your requests and to correspond with you, but only if you decide to share contact information with us. For example we will use your e-mail address to add you to our e-mail newsletter at your request.
- We may share your personal information with our contracted vendors in order to process your request when those tasks are outside our expertise. For example, if you submit payment with a credit card on our site, we may share your information with our credit card processing vendor so your payment can be processed. We may also share your personal information in the event of a merger, sale or reorganization of GroupM.
- We may share aggregate, or combined, consumer data – which does not contain any personal information, and which does not identify any specific individual – with vendors or partners, when we perform services for our clients. This is information about your web browsing, or about your interactions with ads we manage on behalf of clients. We do this to gain better insights into the audience interests. Except as set forth in the full Privacy Notice, we never share, rent, or sell information about you to third parties without your consent.
- We do not share personal information about you with our partners or vendors, except as described above and in the full Privacy Notice.
If you choose not to share your non-personal information with us. (We call this “Opt Out”).
- To opt out of data collection via cookies from GroupM.com please click here.
- You have opted out of data collection via cookies from GroupM.com
- To update your browser settings to opt out of all data collection via cookies, regardless of what sites you visit, see your browser’s help menu; links to instructions for popular browsers are below.
- To opt out of interest based advertising by some providers, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. (It’s important to note that you will still receive ads after opting out of behavioral advertising, however the ads will simply be less relevant to your interests).
How we secure your personal information: To protect the information against unauthorized access and use, we take reasonable security measures as possible, such as limiting access to specified personnel, and by storing data on servers designed to be secure.
How to Contact Us: For more detailed information regarding our privacy practices, please go to our full Privacy Notice Or write to us at: Privacy Officer, GroupM, 498 7th Ave., New York, NY 10018, USA or via email at Privacy@GroupM.com.
Full Privacy Notice
How and why we collect data and covering your choices.
(last update, March 22, 2017)
This notice outlines how and why GroupM Worldwide, Inc. (“GroupM”) collects data from visits to its websites. It also outlines how and why GroupM may collect and use data about you through services it provides to its clients and explains what these practices mean to you -- and how you can manage choices. The services we offer to our clients are relevant to you, as our services include the placement of advertisements on websites outside of GroupM.com and may be seen and engaged with by you. We explain this in further detail when we describe how our services work here.
Please check back often as this notice is updated from time to time. Your use of GroupM Websites means you agree to this notice.
How information collection on our sites works:
Website Privacy Practices
Before we get detailed on our privacy practices, we want to point out that we collect data in two different ways. This section talks about our data collection and use practices for the Website; later we will talk about data collection and use via services provided on behalf of our clients.
Collection and Use of Contact Information. There are a few instances where we may collect your name and contact details (such as e-mail address, telephone number and postal address). But, we never collect this information without consent and never use it in online advertising placement. Examples where you might voluntarily provide your name and contact details include:
Responding to requests: we keep a record of information, including email address and other contact information, solely for responding to a user’s request. For example:
- If you click on the “contact us” link and submit a question or comment, we will collect your name, e-mail address, and phone number in order to send you a reply.
- If you voluntarily ask to be added to our newsletter list, we will collect your e-mail address to send you our email newsletter.
- Purchases: If you purchase or subscribe to GroupM services for a fee via the Website, your payment information, such as credit card number, would only be used for processing payment.
How to manage information we have about you and your GroupM subscriptions. If at any time you decide you’d like us to remove you from our marketing e-mails or newsletters, or to unsubscribe from our database, or if you’d like to change or correct any contact information, you can contact us at email@example.com. You must include your name, e-mail address, and clear instructions regarding changes you are requesting. You may also unsubscribe from e-mail newsletters by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link found at the bottom of the e-mail.
Sometimes a cookie resides on your device for just the single time you’re visiting our Website; this is called a session cookie. Sometimes a cookie remains on your device until you delete it or it expires automatically; this is called a persistent cookie. Both types of cookies are used on our Website. Cookies help us analyze how users like you use our Website by telling us the pages viewed. They also tell us about the number of visitors to the Website and the webpages that referred them. The Google Analytics cookie we use is an example of a persistent cookie.
GroupM uses the following cookies:
Performance/Analytics/Tracking: This type of cookie provides aggregated information about where a user may go on the Website.
- We also use Google Analytics as a session cookie. This cookie may appear as has_js. We do not retain this data as it is deleted upon closing of your browser, and therefore we cannot share it with any third parties.
Social media/Sharing: These are cookies that help with the Website’s functionality. These are third party cookies, and they allow you to share comments, pages, bookmarks, and likes, and help to provide access to social networking tools easily.
- Social media widgets used on this Website include LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube. These social media widgets collect information about your visit to the Website and your use of the social platform services (for example, buttons or likes) on the Website. We do not share information with these social platforms, however please keep in mind the social networks collect the data of your site visit and interaction with the social widget directly.
Use of this site by Children & Children’s data: We’re sensitive to children's privacy. Our Website is not developed for or directed at children under age 13. We specifically request that children not provide information about themselves through our Website. If you believe your child has provided this kind of information and would like it deleted from our database, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Likewise, if we become aware we’ve collected information about a child under the age of 13, we’ll delete it on our own.
Data retention and storage: Our Website visitors should know we may use cookie information for advertising purposes for up to 13 months, and summary reports with aggregated information may be kept longer, as is reasonably necessary. Our Website and databases are maintained in the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany, and data is stored in the locations where collected. If any data we collect is transferred outside of the EU, it is done so in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
Information Security: Maintaining the privacy of our users’ information is very important to us which means we take care and pay special attention to our security measures to protect this information from data breaches. We follow industry standards to protect against the unauthorized access to, retention of, and disclosure of information. This includes physical, electronic, and management activities to protect information integrity, access, and use. But please do keep in mind that no transmission over the internet is 100% secure, so we cannot guarantee absolute security. Because of this, we ask that our users are aware of who they share their information with, and what information they share.
Transfer of data upon change of control: In the event that another company acquires us, or all or substantially all of the assets of our business, through a consolidation, merger, asset purchase, or other transaction, we reserve the right to transfer all information (including any information you may have provided through the “contact us” page) that is in our possession or under our control to the acquiring party, and that information may be used by the acquiring party in its business.
GroupM Services Privacy Practices
What Does GroupM do? What does GroupM mean by their Services?
GroupM is a leading global media investment and media agency holding company. We focus on media buying and media strategy, and we continually evaluate innovative ways to deliver relevant advertising and custom online experiences on behalf of our clients. Protecting online user privacy in the course of our business is a priority and one we take very seriously. GroupM provides client services such as media planning and buying; marketing communications planning; campaign analytics and research; paid search placement and search engine optimization; and branded entertainment and sports sponsorships (“Services”).
Don’t get it? Allow us to explain a bit more about our Services, how information is collected and used, and how you can prevent this information being collected should you choose to do so.
Let’s say you’re interested in gardening. With Interest Based Advertising (IBA) technology (also known as behavioral advertising or audience buying), you will see more gardening ads online because you visit many gardening websites and read a lot of online content about gardening. If our client is a brand that sells gardening tools, GroupM’s services will help place ads on sites where people who like gardening will see them.
When you visit websites, watch videos online, or clicks on ads, which GroupM has placed on behalf of its clients, we store a number in your browser using a “cookie” to remember the websites you visit and the ads you have clicked on. This is accomplished together with our partners (digital publishers such as online gardening magazines, for example). However, this cookie (number) will never collect your name, contact details or any similar information. More on this a bit later…
Staying with our gardening example, because many websites you visit are related to gardening, the cookie (number) on your device is put in the “gardening enthusiast” interest category. As a result, we may show you ads that are relevant to gardening enthusiasts as you browse websites. This is how we use information collected about you through the cookie (number). This is an industry standard approach; you can learn more about these practices at www.iab.net/privacymatters. Remember the cookie does not tell us your name, contact details or any similar information. All we know is that someone used that particular device to view a gardening website. We tag the device with the cookie so we can later serve more gardening ads to that device.
What informationdowe collect?
Sharing this information and how online advertising works:
Your information collected through our Services (or ads placed by us on behalf of clients) may be shared with our clients and vendors. This is essentially how we do business and is how online advertising works. It’s important to remember that this information does not include your name, contact details or any similar information. By sharing this information with our clients and vendors, the information helps them deliver more tailored ads to potential customers. The information allows clients to best understand what ads you like most based on how you interact with the ads and when. This also enables serving of personalized ads to your devices so you see ads relevant to your interests, hobbies and things you may be shopping for at the moment. This information also helps clients formulate more efficient ad campaigns which can help you in the long run. Again, we never collect names, contact details or similar information via our clients’ ads, and therefore, we cannot sell, rent, or share this information with anyone.
What to do when you prefer not to share your information
Choosing not to accept Interest Based Advertising (IBA) cookies is different from choosing not to accept cookies from the Website (as described above under the section about our “Website”).
If you choose not to share information about your browsing activity, you can choose not to accept a cookie, or number, on your device. If you do this, it does not mean you will stop receiving ads altogether. It only means you’ll stop receiving ads tied to your interests. When you choose not to accept cookies, you tell the advertiser that you do not want to share information about your browsing activity, and so the advertiser will not place a cookie on your device, and thus will not know that your device was used to visit particular sites.
You have a few options on how you may choose not to accept cookies. One option is to adjust your browser settings. You can learn how to do this by viewing the browser’s “help” menu, or you can go to the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Consumer Choice page, http://www.youronlinechoices.com / where you will be able to prevent other companies from placing a cookie, or number, on your device.
You may also clear your browser cache or reset your cookies, but you should remember that this does not prevent cookies from being placed on your device in future.
Questions or Comments about this Privacy Notice
If you have questions or concerns regarding this notice, you should contact us through email addressing general questions and comments to email@example.com, or by post: GroupM, 498 7th Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, New York 10018, Attn: Privacy Officer.